Thursday, December 13, 2007

What is Obsolete?

Ob*so*lete  [ob-suh-leet]  adjective

1. no longer in general use, or fallen into disuse;

2. of a discarded or outmoded type; out of date;

3. (of a linguistic form) no longer in use, esp., out of use for at least the past century.

4. effaced by wearing down or away

5.  Biology.  imperfectly developed or rudimentary in comparison with the corresponding character in other individuals, as of the opposite sex or of a related species.

[Origin: 1570-80 obsoletus, ptp. of obsolescere to fall into disuse]

Okay, so that's what the dictionary says (dictionary.com, since you are asking - I'll check the Oxford when I go to the library tomorrow).

For our purposes, the word OBSOLETE is going to cast a wide net, and I will welcome all submissions and suggestions.

I don't want to get bogged down in a semantic discussion of whether an extinct animal is technically obsolete.  If it no longer exists on this fair planet, I think it could be seen as being "of a discarded or outmoded type", or indeed as"imperfectly developed".  

The aim here, and the aim of Obselidia, is to pay homage to anything that once was, and is no longer.

Over the coming weeks (who am I kidding?  this is going to go on for years...), I'll be uploading examples of things of obsolete things.  My hope is that if anyone out there is actually reading this, they may feel compelled to share with me anything they have noticed slipping into Obsolescence, be it a penguin, a running shoe, a travel agent, or a typewriter.

Is democracy obsolete?  I hope not.  And for that reason, I invite you, one and all to participate....

Blessings to all,
George  



No comments: